Mallory Dunlap was hopeful that her father’s health would improve. He had begun to feel ill earlier that week, on the Tuesday in November, when he had first noticed the symptoms. Mallory’s mother, Julie Wallace, had a perpetual look of worry on her face, and Mallory, who was 17 at the time, felt the same way, despite her best efforts to keep it hidden from her younger sister, Camille. Everyone in the home was now wearing masks, and the girls were instructed to keep their distance from their father, who had been quarantined upstairs.

‘He’s Dying,’ Says A Youngster Who Used COVID To Contact 911 For Her Father

By Saturday, Mallory had a sense that her mother was getting a little relieved about the situation. Her tone was a little lighter than usual. Her features had softened, and she had begun to grin at times. As a result, Mallory was relieved as well. Mallory remained unconcerned even as her parents departed that day for their journey to the hospital for emergency treatment.

'He's Dying,' Says A Youngster Who Used COVID To Contact 911 For Her Father

Their mother had demanded that he accompany them, and he had agreed to do so. Mallory remained behind with Camille while her father went to the vehicle on his own for the first time in a long time.

Lewis Dunlap was a guy of great size and strength. He was 51 years old, six feet three inches tall, and 280 pounds of muscle and strength, and he had a chuckle befitting his height. Even his work was significant: He was the owner and operator of a semi-truck repair shop in Elyria, Ohio, which had been in his line for 74 years.

During the epidemic, he’d been busy than he’d ever been. Trucks needed to be transported, and he was in charge of making sure they got there on time.

Lewis, according to Julie, has always had a fear of germs. Whenever the epidemic struck, he did all he could to keep everybody in his immediate vicinity safe, including himself. In the event that he contracted COVID, he was frightened for the well-being of his family. The symptoms began to manifest themselves on Tuesday. Right after, Lewis isolated himself in his bedroom, where he was concerned about spreading the illness to his family, that he requested Julie to cover the air return duct with cardboard in order to prevent it from blowing out.

Lewis’s sole consistent friend was their Boxer, Waldo, who lived with them. Mallory was certain that her father had outrun the lethal illness by Saturday morning. The next Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020, she was still certain of it, at least until around 4:30 p.m., when she returned home after having gone outdoors.

Her sister was sobbing as she ran down the stairs to her room. Waldo was running around the house, looking confused and barking at the same time. And her mother could be heard shouting from the other room. “Call 9-1-1! Call 9-1-1!” shouts the crowd.

Julie Wallace, as well as Lewis Dunlap, had been together since high school, but it wasn’t until years later that they fell in love while playing softball on a co-ed sports program after work that they realized they were in love. She worked as a reporter for a small community newspaper. He put in his time in the family garage, which he aspired to one day own.

Lewis was adamant that his daughters learn how to play the game he grew up with and enjoyed. He coached Mallory’s travel softball team for eight years at that time. Soon after Camille learned to throw a ball, she began participating in the nearly daily sessions in their backyard. Mallory, as her mother would want you to know, is an excellent batter on the baseball field. This was revealed to me through a Zoom call from her vehicle, which was parked outside Camille’s practice.