Following quite a while of speculation, Eurovision is setting of to the opposite side of the world to have its first American Song Contest to occur in 2022.
NBC, one of the three major TV networks in America, have secured the deal for an American Song Contest and will be co-produced between Propagate and Universal Television Alternative Studio, with the executive producer of “The Voice” US version.
Format of the American Song Contest
Like Eurovision, the contest will feature live performance from 50 American states with 5 United States territories and Washington, D.C competing to win the country’s vote for the “Best Original Song”
For each state, a artist, duo, DJ or a band will take an participate by playing out a original song, very much like Eurovision yet in America. The significant contrast between the Eurovision Song Contest and the American Song Contest is that the live shows will comprise of three rounds rather than semi-finals and a Grande Finale and a Grande Finale as they are familiar with. The artists picked will contend in a series of Qualifying Rounds, trailed by Semi-Finals and the Grand Finale where one state or territory will life the trophy.
In terms of voting, the American Song Contest will be like Eurovision as other than the public vote, a jury of music industry professionals will be involved with the competition.
During the declaration Martin Österdahl, the Executive Supervisor of the Eurovision Song Contest, is excited for this new journey by adding:
– For a very long time the Eurovision Song Contest has connected people all over. As proprietors of this hugely successful format, they have perceived how it has discovered a place in millions of hearts across Europe and beyond.
– Now they are eager to have found the perfect partners to share this unique competition and its passionate celebration of music and original songs with the American people.
Progressing forward this declaration, Jenny Groom, the Executive Vice President of Unscripted Content for NBC Universal Television and Streaming is likewise excited by this venture:
– American Song Contest combines the competitive spirit of rooting for your home team alongside epic performances that will introduce viewers with the musical cultures that make up America. We are excited to showcase the universal power of music in a spectacular multi-week live musical event.
Christer Björkman (who is better known for the renovation of Melodifestivalen), along with Anders Lenhoff, Peter Settman and Ola Melzig have been makers with the experience for more than 20 Eurovision Song Contests among them and have managed to successfully get the American format rights for Eurovision Song Contest from the EBU and banded together with Propagate to bring Eurovision to the States:
– The Eurovision Song Contest is the greatest live music event on the world, and it is an amazing honour to bring it to the United States and transform our dream of American Song Contest into a reality on NBC. It’s awe-inspiring to stand at the start of an American inheritance and it doesn’t get more exciting than that.’
– American Song Contest is looking for the best original song showcasing a craftsman’s style and distinction. The submissions process to represent each state or territory is now in progress and invites all varieties of music including country, dance, electronic, pop, rap, R&B, rock and more.
No dates and details of how the tunes will be selected have yet been revealed yet are normal soon.